Tapas is fiery self-discipline that leads to transformation and growth. It’s the fire and passion within us that gives us our drive to keep going. It’s what keeps you doing the things that you know are good for you even when you don’t want to. It’s what makes you show up for your practice no matter the reason or season!
Tapas is directly translated to heat and refers to the act of putting ourselves through the fire to transform ourselves into our highest form of Self. Tapas is also related to the second Niyama, Santosha (contentment), our focus last month. The contentment of Santosha, arises out of a realization that no matter how sticky and difficult life can be, when we stand in our center, our inner self remains essentially untouched. To remain centered in this awareness takes discipline and enthusiasm, and thus the fire or heat of tapas, the third niyama, becomes a way of constantly clearing our slate of the daily residue that can colour our perceptions.”
How can you bring TAPAS into your daily yoga practice and life?
- Challenge yourself – especially to show up on your mat
- Embrace change – allow your yoga practice to meet you where you are and be open to change
- Strengthen your core and awaken your Solar Plexus Chakra
- Be consistent & show up everywhere in your life even if it takes small steps
- Clear out the clutter and seek simplicity
- Have a disciplined sleep cycle & eat a healthy diet
- Become aware of your breath and take time to pause & breathe throughout your day
- Cultivate the daily habits to become a “Glow Getter”
The practice of tapas is not always easy. It requires a physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual fortitude to continuously show up regardless of the outer circumstances. In terms of our Yoga practice, we certainly will not want to show up every day. It’s not always easy to arrive to the mat, meditation cushion, sacred texts, or journal when things get tough, but it’s always worth it!!
Because with effort, discipline, and faith…on the other side of our challenge lies a much stronger and illumined version of YOU!